Objectives and scope of Nordterm's work
The objective of Nordterm is to be a Nordic forum and network for terminology work. In order to achieve this, Nordterm will:
- promote co-operation among the Nordic countries in the field of terminology through the exchange of information, experience and results, through joint projects, and by holding conferences and symposia,
- ensure the influence and role of the Nordic countries in terminology development at an international level by co-ordinating efforts and developing joint guidelines,
- to participate in terminology research, practical terminology work, terminological education and other activities related to terminology.
The most important of Nordterm's activities it the Nordterm Assembly which is organised every second year. The Nordterm Assembly is a forum which is open for all who are interested in terminology in the Nordic countries. In connection with the Nordterm Assembly a Nordic terminology conference is organised.
Nordterm participates actively in the standardization of terminology and many of Nordterm's member organisations are represented on the different levels in ISO/TC 37.
Here you can read the Nordterm's statutes.
Participants in Nordterm
The nucleus of Nordterm is composed of terminology centres in the Nordic countries:
- Terminologigruppen i Danmark (Danish Terminology Group), Denmark
- Sanastokeskus TSK / Terminologicentralen TSK (Finnish Terminology Centre), Finland
- Stofnun Árna Magnússonar í íslenskum fræðum (Árni Magnússon Institute for Icelandic Studies), secretary for Íslensk málnefnd (Icelandic Language Council), Iceland
- Språkrådet (Language Council of Norway), Norway
- The Finnish Sámi Parliament, the Sámi
- Terminologicentrum TNC (Swedish Centre for Terminology), Sweden
In addition to these, a large number of other organisations and individuals take part in Nordterm activities.
Nordterm's highest body is the Steering Committee that coordinates Nordterm's activities and represents Nordterm internationally. The Steering Committee consists of one representative of each Nordterm organisation.
The Nordterm Steering Committee 2017–2019
- Denmark: Hanne Erdman Thomsen, DANTERM Research (chair)
- alternate: Bodil Nistrup Madsen, DANTERMcentret
- Finland: Katri Seppälä, TSK
- alternate: Mari Suhonen, TSK
- Iceland: Ágústa Þorbergsdóttir, Stofnun Árna Magnússonar í íslenskum fræðum
- alternate: Ari Páll Kristinsson, Stofnun Árna Magnússonar í íslenskum fræðum
- Norway: Marianne Aasgaard, Språkrådet
- alternate: Ole Våge, Språkrådet
- Sweden: Åsa Holmér, TNC
- alternate: Henrik Nilsson, TNC
- Sami: Marko Marjomaa, The Finnish Sámi Parliament
Working Groups carry out the terminological activities.
Nordterm's Working Groups are
- AG1 — Terminology research and training
- Chair: Nina Pilke, University of Vaasa
- Vice-chair: Marita Kristiansen, Norges Handelshøyskole
- Secretary: Åsa Holmér, TNC
- AG2 — Terminology management tools
- Chair: Henrik Nilsson, TNC
- Secretary: Gisle Andersen, Norges Handelshøyskole
- AG5 — Nordterm's Internet information
- Chair: Henrik Nilsson, TNC
- Secretary: Mari Suhonen, TSK